Wednesday, March 23, 2011

ESL

So, for one of my classes I have to tutor one student in English for ten different sessions. It should be pretty easy, considering my background in tutoring English, right? I wish...I first taught a boy named Arbeth. He's super sweet and his English is actually pretty good. BUT his classroom is too busy and he can't work with me and keep up with his classmates...so I found a new kid, Dina, she's from Iraq and has a beautiful accent. I instantly like her. The funny thing is she even looked like I did at her age. After one session, she moved to San Francisco...Then I had my next student, Hector. He was a lot of fun and I enjoyed doing more hands on teaching with him. But, he was not to be my student forever, for some reason or other. next (today) I had Ashmita, a little girl from Nepal...she was a little bit unkempt and couldn't speak much English at all. I sat next to her and we played with my alphabet beads...it was amazing watching her come out of her shell as we looked for different letters to spell her name. She even started naming the colors of the beads. It was fun giggling with her and helping her make her own bracelet and using it to reinforce English...but at the end of the time, her mom came and got her. I heard she isn't coming back to that school. I've tutored four times and had four different students. It's sad, because I've connected with each student and really enjoyed working with each of them. I wish I could keep them all, but I don't get to keep any. I'm a little bit sad. Now I'll have to find a new student and I really hope I get to keep this one. I don't know if I can handle much more of this.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, that is sad. Though I do know one thing, there is no way that you did not make a difference with those kids. Whether it was helping them become more comfortable with their English or just making them feel loved, you were the right person for them. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how hard it is to connect to a child just to have them leave. I hope you get to keep the next one;)

    ReplyDelete