Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Too big?

Arachnophobia-the fear of spiders
Arachnophobia, tends to be a very prominent fear for a lot of people. I for the most part feel that if you leave a spider alone, it'll leave you alone. I admit that I like to look at them and to examine their webs and sometimes I like to throw a fly or two into a spider's web to watch the spiders wrap it up. I find there's a lot to learn from watching spiders. The other day I was taking a bath and noticed a miniscule little spider hanging on to the shear, wet walls of the tub trying to climb up to safety. I couldn't help but admire the poor little devil, becuase here it was soaking wet and exhausted, but still determined to climb up the cliffs of the tub and into safety. I think if it were me, I would have just given up and died, but this little guy had loads of courage. I found myself really wanting to help this courageous spider, but I couldn't. I was just too big. If I reached over and tried to help him off the wall, my shear bulk would have crushed the little guy. So instead I had to watch him try on his own and eventually give up and sink into the depths of the bathtub. I admit I was really sad for him and more sad that I was so big that I was unable to help something so small and needy.
After contemplating the tragic death of the little spider, I came to two conclusions.
#1 that I don't want to be so big in my own eyes that I can't help someone who is broken and needy. I don't want to crush them by the shear bulk of my pride and self-righteousness. I want to be humble enough to help the small and struggling people around me.
#2 I'm so glad that God doesn't just sit aside and watch me drown and struggle. He is so big and powerful and yet He's merciful and gentle enough to lift me out of suffering without crushing me with His greatness. Praise God.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Only you could watch a spider drown in your bath and see the awesome love of God.

    You are amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I can't believe I just saw it today! It is really cruel for me to not mind that the spider died during the story, but I did feel the empathy of your analogy.

    ReplyDelete