Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Why is it that I'm tired all day and wide awake at night?

Two things I've been "pondering" (as my dear father likes to say) over and over in my head. One:What was this place like before we came. Two, how can I describe how terribly disgusting salted plum juice is.

Naomi and I talked to Baba today about how things were before we came and how we ended up living about his car repair shop. Apparently, before he volunteered to take us, nobody wanted us. We were unwanted and we didn't even know it!!!I guess people were really nervous about what to do with "foreigners." It wasn't until we got here and people thought we were "beautiful" and "funny" that they decided they wanted us to come stay with them...But they were TOO LATE!

Last June I went to town with some of my students and we all bought drinks at a drink stand. They didn't have passion fruit green tea, so my students ordered for me. Plum juice. They even payed for it. Plum juice. I took one sip and a shudder ran down my spine. Salty, sweet and warm...It quickly reminded me of vomit. I drank half of it so that my students wouldn't know I hated it. It was so sweet of them to buy it for me. I got to a point where I couldn't drink anymore. It was painful to say the least. So I put a hole in the bottom of the cup and it spilled out while we were walking. Finally one of my students realized it was leaking, so I "had to" throw it away.

4 comments:

  1. I think that day--the plum juice day, was the first day of your forever.

    And wow, I love how Baba was the only person who would take us in, and how he's probly the only person who would have been able to handle #1: Us. and #2: The crap people have given him about it.
    Cool that God works even when life doesn't seem fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "ponderings" and that you drank salty vomit juice for your students. That's dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah you're brilliant. Poking a hole in that cup hahah... You crack me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't feel brilliant. It felt like something Napoleon Dynamite would have done.

    ReplyDelete