Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What is a character English teacher anyways?

One interesting thing about Taiwan is that it's hard to get the children to use their imagination and be creative. So in order to help them to practice thinking more creatively in English I made them Mad Lib worksheets using a sample e-mail from their book.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: _how are you?_
Dear _spongebob___,
(name)
Thanks for your _robot__
(noun)
I'm _21_ years old, too
(number)
I live in __South Pole__.
(place)
There are ______95__ people in my family.
(number)
My father and mother are both _pilot__.
(career)
My grandparents are _ET___--
(career)
I like _gold_ and I want to be a __ president__
(noun) (career)
What about you?
Your __brother__
(
noun)
Michael Jackson
or
Your mother
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't have a problem getting this kid to be creative. I was impressed. He even threw in a your mom joke at the end.

I did the same worksheet for each student and each one came up different.
One of my kids signed his e-mail "I want to kill you. you die."
Another one of my kids filled in every blank with "money". A third kid said he liked money and wanted to be a teacher. I hate to break it to that kid, but the two of those don't go together.

One of my favorite girls wrote this one. *shakes head* at least she's creative.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: _hello moto_
Dear _Patricia pig___,
(name)
Thanks for your _eyes__
(noun)
I'm _0_ years old, too
(number)
I live in __eraser__.
(place)
There are ____0__ people in my family.
(number)
My father and mother are both _singer__.
(career)
My grandparents are _cow and pig___--
(career)
I like _eat you_ and I want to be a __ nurse__
(noun) (career)
What about you?
Your __book__
(
noun)
Spiderman

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Well, I have to say...your kids at least have fairly clean minds. When they start asking me how to spell "Bathroom" and "Toilet"...I know it's all down hill from there.

    Your _peepee_
    (noun)

    Toilet

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA. Those are great, and I'm so sorry you have to live with ^above person^. That's gotta be pretty disturbing...

    ReplyDelete