Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Nome's update letter

Dear Friends and Family,

I think it's about time for another update! Yes, I'm still alive and kicking here in Da An, Taiwan, and I DO have things to tell you! God has been so good...

The month of October went by so fast, it's hard for me to really even remember all that happened! Of course, there was my birthday...that was the main event. ;-) I made a big deal about it from Oct. 1st on, and let me tell you, the school got me back BIG time. Have nearly every kid hug AND kiss me on my birthday was not exactly what I expected...esp in a country where Birthdays are really not that big of a deal. Well, I asked for it, right? Yup, number 23 was memorable for sure.

The month of October was also characterized by quite a few "we gotta work this out" times with our host family. You know, I never expected to be living this close with a Non-Christian family, and one that doesn't speak my language OR understand my culture...but it's been the most amazing thing. Every issue we've had to work through has turned out good, and brought us closer to them. I think they know we love them, and I'm grateful for that. I see God slowing softening their hearts, and opening a door into their lives. I'll tell you the latest...

About a week ago I was talking to Huang Baba, and as usual the conversation turned to me finding a boy to marry. You may think this is odd, but really, it's quite normal for us here, and we have found some great ways to turn the conversation...one of my favorites being "Baba, Taiwanese boys just eat too much Tofu... So how about them Yankees?" So we're talking, and he tells me the important things when finding a boy...I won't go into it...but then I told him what I look for: A man who loves and follows God with his whole being. The topic then turned to how DO we follow God? And he asked me how I know when God is speaking to ME. I told him God has spoken to me using many things, but one I could SHOW him, was how God told me to come to Taiwan. He was very interested in this, and I told him God used the Bible to tell me. He then asked me if I had a Bible he could read, and if I could show him the parts God used to talk to me about Taiwan. I can't even tell you how my heart leaped when he asked...God was working.

It took me about a week to get my hands on a Chinese/English Bible (thanks Simon!), and almost every day Baba asked me when I was going to show him the Bible, and my special passages. FINALLY I had it in my hands, a beautiful New Chinese/ESV Bible. I don't think anything I've seen in my life has been more beautiful to me then seeing Baba pour through that Bible, his eyes wide as he saw how with each question I had about Taiwan, there was a verse God has used to reassure, to direct me here. And not even just to Taiwan, but HERE, to Da An. We sat and talked about God and His word for a while, then he took it home with him for dinner. Later when we went over to say goodnight, when we walked in I saw him quickly put it down as we came in...I knew he'd been reading it agian.Please, please pray for Huang Baba, and Mami too. God IS working in their hearts.
Last night I talked to him again about how the most important thing in my life is Jesus. And that this world is not my home, that I have everything to look forward to! That the end of the world doesn't scare or worry me, because I am going somewhere so much better. I think part of him longs to understand, and part of him scorns this way of thinking. Taiwanese are very practically minded, and really, from their viewpoint it's ridiculous to not fear "the end", it's crazy to put love over money in our lives. Please pray that the Holy Spirit would be showing truth to these dear people.

I pray that God will continue to work here, in us and through us. It's not all been easy, Satan is alive and well here in Da An and has a strong hold on these people's lives. Trish and I have both felt his attack in even the last week, seeking to destroy and kill all that is good and all that is lovely. Please pray protection around us, being the only two Christians we see on a regular basis, it can be very hard at times to feel apart of things.Please pray that Satan would no be able to put his fingers in our lives here.
Please pray for health, H1N1 is all around us, tho we have escaped so far. The weather is changing and it's easy to overdo it.
Please pray for mine and Trisha's relationship--sometimes I feel like we're the only two people on earth we can talk to, and it can be stressful for both of us! (if you had to see me and talk to me and only had ME every day, you would know what I meant)

Again, thank you all so much for your prayers and support. Please know that God IS working, that people are seeing His light here. I'm encouraged, and I hope will be too!

Much love to all,
Naomi

Pictures:

The coffee I learned to roast by myself. :-)










Emma and I, out at a night market. She is Coach's wife and one of my Chinese teachers. She is one of my best friends here. :-)














Hank, one of my 5th graders.

















Cathy (my 'little sister') and Julie, 2 of my 4th graders.













Brina, Coach and Rogers...3 of my fellow teachers at Hua Chien.












Benson and another 6th grader. :-)













Another 4th grader...this kid loves to tickle and torture his poor English Teacher. :-(

















Trish with students on a field trip

















Muscle...one of my very favorites. :-) 6th grader.

1 comment:

  1. Nomes, that's really awesome that Baba has gotten into the Word. It will not come back to him void. I've been and will continue to pray for all you guys.

    ReplyDelete