Thursday, October 15, 2009

A lesson in humility (and the blockheadedness of some people)

I've talked a little bit about the principal at my school. Did I mention that he is now my Chinese teacher? Once a week I have an exclusive 40 minute Chinese lesson with him. I'm so lucky =(. I'm not going to lie, I cried when (after) he told me. It's just that I'm fine with the principal from a distance. It's really hard to show him Christian love when I'm around him. =/
(Hold that thought)
Tonight is a big dinner party because the president of the parents association is stepping down and new a person is taking his place. So there will be a lot of eating, drinking (not me), speaches (in Chinese) and karaoke. All in all it's one of those things that aren't any fun for anyone and no one would come if they didn't serve food. I personally do not enjoy these things. I get bored sitting still for two hours or longer eating food, being talked about by everyone and occasionally made to go up front and give a speech or sing a song. Anyways, the principal announced that we were going to be going to this particular dinner, he told us to dress beautifully and he asked/told Naomi to sing a song. I was happy. I think he's finally understanding that I don't like being in the public eye. I am terrified of giving speeches and I don't like to sing karaoke. YAY!

Well soon after this announcement was my Chinese class with the principal. I was in a somewhat apprehensive mood, afraid he'd change his mind, but it was okay. We reviewed our words from last week and then he said he had a new phrase for me to learn. "Wo yao chang y so gu gay hwey zang" Which means "I want to sing a song for the new president of the parents association." my heart sank. "He doesn't really expect me to use this phrase, does he? *gulp*...."

I hate politics!

Since, Chinese class I've been frantically trying to come up with ways not to go to the dinner. Why is it so easy to catch a cold when you want to go somewhere amazing and so hard to catch one when it would be really useful? Sigh...I might have to suck it up and sing. This might just be one of those lessons in humility.

5 comments:

  1. how is it being humble to sing and be applauded by thousends?

    Just askin. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, I also have to say. When I heard he had taught you that phrase...I admit...I laughed. I'm sorry.

    Tonight--we will see. tonight the rubber meets the road. Tonight, fate will be decided.

    We will see if you will chang yi sou gu gei hwei zang.
    And tomorrow we will be sick in bed. -_- Life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and just so you know...in case he thot there was a problem between us and hum...I gave him a paper pumpkin as a peace offering this morning.

    I'm sure we're all good now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. question: are these songs all in chinese? or are there english songs? if they're in chinese you should sing a wong lee hom song, and if they're in english, elton john. =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't wait to hear how it all went tonight and find out if you sang, and was it in chinese or english and if you even know some elton john songs. (smile) Love Mom ( I have to sign my name because it keeps saying Richard said and I don't know how to fix it.)

    ReplyDelete