Monday, August 31, 2009

They always return to the scene of the crime

Taiwan and it's people are definitely different, but I've found that Taiwan has a way of making both it's native people and it's foreigners strange. I'm going to focus on an especially strange group of foreigners in this amazing place, the Schweitzer teachers. These people are a special group of Christ serving, squid eating, purpose planning, kid loving, Mandarin attempting, adventure craving, attention demanding English teachers. I got into Taiwan on the 26th and I found myself thrown into the midst of these amazing people all amassed together for orientation and purpose infusion. I can't say how much fun I had meeting all these people and talking with them. I know now I have a group of people I can call and depend on even while I'm in a foreign country.
So orientation wasn't without it's set of adventures. I'm telling you they follow me wherever I go. It's possible that they are really following Naomi who I tend to follow everywhere as well...anyways... Naomi and I went for out team meeting to a little coffee shop and outside our coffee shop we noticed some really inappropriate posters written in English outside a club. So we decided we would tear them off the post (but only after we finished our coffee, of course). So we went outside and there were lots of people around so we were waiting for our chance to rip the posters off without anyone noticing. This wasn't working, there were too many people. Finally, we both drew courage from imagining ourselves as someone else. Nomes imagined herself as a sidewalk clearer so she started picking up trash around the area while I pretended like I worked at the club and we needed to replace the posters. It worked! I walked up and ripped the posters off feeling like I was doing my job and Nomes continued to clear the garbage around me...so we both walked off with a handful of garbage in our arms. We took a different way back to the office to make sure we didn't lead any police or any angry REAL club members to the Chen's house. But I must say it was exciting...all the way back we were imagining different scenarios of people seeing us and reporting us and arresting us as soon as we left the Chen's. Despite all of our conjured up fear we still ended up walking by the crime scene to see if anyone had replaced the posters...they had.

6 comments:

  1. Hahah that's really cool! I'm glad to know you didn't get into trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I can totally see your face...the smiling-through-your-face look that you got from Dad, while you are ripping posters down and trying to look innocent:) So funny!

    My vote is that Spunky is Weez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA you make me smile Trish! I can just see you imagining yourself to be someone else... so are you going to pull them down again... in another persona??!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. Just read this. That's great. You'd make a great club owner. =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahahaha thats hilarious.I can see it now English teacher arrested for stealing and vandalism hehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete