Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The simple joys of maidenhood

I was afraid of boring people with too many posts so it's been too long since my last one. I have so many things to tell.

1. The single worst thing has happened to me. The principal, who I talked about in my last blog, has volunteered to teach me Chinese. So now once a week I have to sit down with him for a 40 minute Chinese lesson. Last week, I learned "The big tree is our good friend." So far in my conversations with Chinese squirrels it has been incredibly helpful.

2. I went fishing! Naomi and I stayed over at our students house and went fishing with them. We fished in some sort of outlet from the ocean. We stood on a bridge and watched Mr Lin cast a net into the water then we'd pull up a small fish or two and garbage. It was awesome. Mr Lin got the net stuck in the water. I volunteered to go into the water after it, but no one thinks the Americans can do anything =(. So a complete stranger came and stripped to his boxers so he could jump in and save the day. I was jealous. After getting our net back we caught 12 little fish all together. Then we went home and scaled and gutted them. They were very much still alive when we started to scale them. I had to tell myself over and over again "fish don't feel pain. Fish don't feel pain." (don't tell me if this isn't true, I don't want to know). After the fish were gutted (this was my first time gutting fish ) we fried them and salted them. It was seriously one of the best things I've ever tasted. I love fishing!

3. Today one of our students asked the principal if it was "true that all Americans only eat steak?" I wish!!!! =)


4 comments:

  1. Ok, I have a few things to add. One, we would cast the net into the water? hahaha! :-P And two, you KNOW they would have let you into the ocean for a BRIEF moment if YOU had stripped to your boxers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi...chush doesn't need any ideas. ;) Help her keep some...propriety, that's why she needs friends. (love you chush.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I was confronted by a Chinese mobster the other day. He wouldn't let me go until I said the mob code. Guess what it was? You're absolutely right: "The big tree is our good friend." Never would've guessed, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,you have to agree with me that propriety isn't any fun 'cause it's not!!!!
    Nomes...would you stop with the brief jokes? I can't handle it anymore

    ReplyDelete